Let Our Family Serve Yours
Obituary of Margaret Stone
Margaret Lewis Stone of Brooklyn, Pennsylvania and Kent and Ravenna, Ohio passed away peacefully on Friday, December 1 at Brookdale Ravenna. She was born September 8, 1923, to Earl R. and Edith P. Lewis, the seventh generation born on their dairy farm near Hop Bottom, Pennsylvania. She graduated from Brooklyn Vocational High School in 1941. During high school she ran track and worked on the school newspaper and yearbook. Margaret’s first love was music, and she majored in piano and vocal music education at Houghton College, Houghton, New York, receiving her Bachelor’s degree in 1945. She then taught vocal and general music in Smethport, Pennsylvania for 17 years. She also directed the Methodist Church choir in Smethport and taught private piano lessons. She married Curtis C. Stone of Brooklyn, Pennsylvania on October 11, 1952. They had one daughter, Sara. Margaret completed her Master’s degree in Music Education at Penn State University in 1955. While teaching in Smethport she often took students to state and county chorus festivals. She also traveled to see Curtis run in track meets around the country.
After moving to Ohio in 1964, Margaret taught at Tallmadge Junior and Senior High Schools for three years, after which she began doctoral studies in education at Kent State University. She emphasized music in her degree program, and traveled to Hungary and Germany to research the Kodaly and Orff Methods of music education. She completed her dissertation, “Kodaly and Orff Music Teaching Techniques: History and Present Practice” in 1971. She then taught music education at Kent State University and The University of Akron for many years. She served as Editor of the Kodaly Envoy, the publication of the Organization of American Kodaly Educators, for which she was awarded a Life Membership. She was also a member of the American Orff-Schulwerk Association, the Music Educators National Conference, Delta Omicron International Music Fraternity, and Delta Kappa Gamma International Society for Key Women Educators. While in Kent she was an active member of the music group of the American Association of University Women and of Kent State University Women. She was a member of the United Methodist Church of Kent where she sang in the Sanctuary Choir and was a member of Mary Reed Circle. She sang for many years, along with Curtis and Sara, in The Blossom Festival Chorus, the summer chorus of the Cleveland Orchestra, as well as in the Kent Chorus.
Upon her retirement she and Curtis moved to Brooklyn, Pennsylvania, where she sang in the choir of the Montrose United Methodist Church, directing it for a time, and was a member of the Montrose Music Club and Kingsley Civic Club. She and Curtis helped found the Brooklyn Historical Society, and wrote three books on local history published by the society. Margaret loved gardening and tended a large and productive garden of vegetables and flowers. She canned and preserved many fruits and vegetables as well as making jam, and also indulged her love of crocheting and quilting, giving many afghans and quilts as wedding gifts. Margaret loved to bake, and her Christmas cookies and fruitcake, which she shared with friends and relatives near and far, were legendary.
Margaret is survived by her husband Curtis C. Stone of Brooklyn, Pennsylvania and Kent and Ravenna, Ohio, her daughter Sara (Terry) Miller of Kent, Ohio, step-granddaughters Sonia (Robert) Srichai of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and Esther (Bob) Thatcher of Afton, Virginia, five step great-grandchildren, brother-in-law Daniel C. (Judy) Stone of Severn, Maryland, three nephews, two nieces, many great-nephews and -nieces, and a host of friends. She was preceded in death by her parents and her brother Robert E. (Doris) Lewis.
Services: 11:00 AM, Monday, December 18th at the Montrose United Methodist Church, 526 Church Street, Montrose, PA,
Visitation: 2:00-4:00 PM, Sunday, December 17th at Bartron-Myer Funeral Home, Montrose.
A memorial gathering will be held in Kent, Ohio at a later date.
382 Church Street
Montrose, PA 18801
Local Phone: 570-278-8100